Click below on the icon next to a poem to read the original poem in Catalan
JORDI DE SANT JORDI (1395?-1424)
- WITHOUT FRIENDS
(Translation by Angela Buxton)
- Without friends, goods and master,
- in a strange place and in a strange region,
- far from everything good, tired of worry and sadness,
- my will and thought captivated,
- I find myself completely subject to an evil power;
- I see no one who will take care of me,
- and I am guarded, caught, shackled and imprisoned,
- for which I blame my sad fortune.
- I saw times when nothing satisfied me;
- now I am content with what makes me sad,
- and now I appreciate more the light shackles
- than before I did the most beautiful embroidery.
- I see that fortune has shown its power
- over me, wanting me to reach this point;
- but I don't care, for I have done my duty
- to all good people in whose company I am.
- It is nothing for me to suffer all these wrongs
- compared to the one which breaks my heart,
- and every day it makes me crack with hope:
- I see nothing that can give us a push
- in preparing our liberation.