Click below on the icon next to a poem to read the original poem in Catalan
MARIA-ANTÒNIA SALVÀ (1869-1958)
- OF A CACTUS
(Translation by Sam Abrams)
- Like a monstrous reptile with spotted skin,
- with slimy entrails, it lay
- in its corner drinking in the sunlight.
- All at once, its malice awakened,
- reviving, it cracked the flowerpot.
- Beyond the orchard, to be lost track of,
- it was hurled over an arid wall,
- and after a time, upon the rugged stones,
- poking among the crevices and seams,
- I found the old dragon still raging and clinging.